Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Disposing of old medication

Don't know what to do with all the meds that you're not taking anymore? I searched the internet for safe disposal instructions and came up with "put them in with kitty litter and throw them in the trash" which works and does discourage anyone from eating them but then I had another idea. I emptied the pills that I'm no longer taking into my sharps container before I dropped it off at Walgreens to exchange for a new, empty one. I removed the labels from the plastic prescription bottles and then recycled them.

Of course, yesterday my neurologist suggested that I take Tegretol (the pill I dumped unto my sharps container a few months ago) again for something new so now I've got to go back to Walgreens and get more. Oh well, at least it worked well in theory and I'm sure I'll do it again in the future.

No comments: