Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Products that have changed my life: SLS free toothpaste

I used to get canker sores frequently. Any time I bit my lip or cheek, it would turn into a very painful canker sore and take forever to go away. In my on-line research I did see lots about the immune system and canker sores. Anyone else with an auto-immune disease get them?

I switched to SLS free toothpaste last year and haven't had one since! I started with Rembrandt's version:


Rembrandt toothpaste, originally uploaded by Cynthia in SF.

No canker sores but no foaming or minty taste either. Almost worth it but the search continued:


The Natural Dentist, originally uploaded by Cynthia in SF.

I found The Natural Dentist at Walgreens and it foams up nicely and tastes minty. Also, it's cheaper than Rembrandt.

Then, while shopping at drugstore.com, I noticed that they now carry the Tom's of Maine version and tried it:

Tom's, originally uploaded by Cynthia in SF.

Tom's of Maine is now my favorite. Maybe I've forgotten the taste and feel of conventional toothpaste but I swear this one would fool you. The flavor doesn't last forever but not having raging canker sores is a good trade off.

Stay tuned for more products that have changed my life and other benefits of avoiding SLS.

1 comment:

Jeri Dansky said...

Fellow organizer Amanda Kovattana makes her own toothpaste using this recipe:

6 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons glycerin (from health food store)
15 drops peppermint or wintergreen extract

You can use straight baking soda, but Amanda says "I just like the way the glycerine sticks to my toothbrush and the taste of the peppermint, plus the salt has enough grit to give my teeth a polished finish."